2020 has been a trying year. Leadership is challenging in the best of times, however perhaps it is needed less when everything is working. Regardless of a firm’s success or failure in 2020, we are undoubtedly in challenging times. How can leaders lead best?
Q4 2020 creates an opportunity, as we plan ahead for 2021, to reinforce exceptional leadership. Regardless of your role, we all have the opportunity to lead by example on a daily basis. Here is our top 10 on leadership:
- Create, share, and reinforce the vision: why does your firm exist?
- Say less, powerfully: engage with purpose and clarity
- Set high expectations, beginning with your own
- Focus on what can be controlled: effort
- Recognize, reward, celebrate, repeat
- Maintain KPIs(Key Performance Indicators) for all and review them regularly; all team member KPIs are integral to firm success
- Mistakes happen; course correct quickly
- Engage the team; encourage idea sharing, team building and outcome analysis
- Focus execution on the highest value priorities; manage to a written game plan
- Share more: education, ideas, feedback, the competition, opportunities, time
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou